Martindale VIPD138 Voltage Indicator and Proving Device Kit
Nothing is more dangerous than trusting a defective voltage indicator to test for a dead circuit. Safe electrical work requires the use of a voltage indicator that has been proved with a proving device before and after use.
The Martindale VIPD138 contains the VI13800 voltage indicator and the PD440 proving device, enabling you to comply with health and safety recommendations for safe working.
The standard relating to 2 pole voltage indicators is BS EN61243-3. All voltage indicators on the British & European market should comply. The latest version of the standard is BS EN61243-3:2010 and came fully in to force in May 2013.
The Martindale VI-13700 has been widely used for many years and as part of its design has always included a fuse in the probe to limit the current in the event of damage to the cable.
There is a technical argument that fuses in a voltage indicator can cause unreliability and any problem with the fuse could cause the voltage indicator not to indicate a hazardous voltage. In reality this risk is very small and correct proving procedures will identify the problem. None the less, because of this potential problem, BS EN61243-3 prohibits the use of fuses in 2 pole voltage indicators.
In order to fully comply with BS EN61243-3:2010 Martindale has released an updated version of VI-13700/2 with a model number of VI-13800. This new model has the fuse replaced by a high wattage resistor in the probe that will limit the current in the event of damage to the cable. This protection is superior to the protection offered by the fuse as the current that can flow under fault conditions is considerably less. The vast majority of competitor products have no protection built into the probe.
HSE Guidance note GS38 has not been revised for many years and therefore hasn’t kept pace with technology or international standards. It is due to be updated. The existing version of GS38 does not require fuses in a 2 pole voltage indicator built to a recognised standard such as BS EN61243-3.
Apart from the fuse/resistor in the probe everything else about the specification of VI-13700/2 & VI-13800 is identical, including the contrasting inner cable sheath to quickly identify cable damage.
Martindale VI13800 Non Fused Voltage Indicator
The new VI13800 is identical to the industry standard VI13700 except that it doesn’t have a fuse. This is so that it will comply with BS EN61243-3 2010 which came into force in May 2013. This standard bans the use of fuses in 2 pole voltage indicators.
- Industry standard voltage indicator
- Same as VI13700 but with no fuse
- Fully GS38 compliant
- Heavy duty double insulated leads
- Bright LEDs
- Polarity Indication
Martindale PD440 Proving Device
The Martindale PD440 is a 440V AC proving device, designed to enable voltage indicators to be fully checked, in compliance with Health & Safety recommendations.
The PD440 is compatible with the Martindale VI13700G & the new Martindale VI13700/2.
The PD440 can also be used to check Drummond and other filament test lamps as well as standard multimeters and other manufacturers two pole voltage indicators.
Using a voltage indicator without first proving it is working correctly could prove fatal.
Martindale VI13800 Voltage Indicator
- Nominal Voltage Range: 50 - 600V AC / DC
- Nominal Voltage Threshold Indications: 50, 100, 200, 400 V DC/AC rms
- Nominal Voltage threshold tolerance: < 85% of marked threshold indication
- Polarity indication: from approx 12V DC/AC rms
- AC/DC voltage detection: automatic
- Range detection: automatic
- Response time: < 0.1s
- Frequency range: DC, 1 - 400 Hz
- Test current: < 3.5mA at 600V DC/AC rms
- Duty ratio: 30s ON (operated) / 240s OFF (recovery)
- Temperature & Humidity (operating & storage): -10°C to 55°C ≤ 85% R.H. / -10°C to 55°C ≤ 85% R.H.
- Altitude: up to 2000m
- IP rating: IP54
- Power: from circuit under test
- Dimensions: 205(L) x 67(W) x 27(D) mm
- Weight: 130g approx.
- Includes: instructions
- Conforms to BS EN 61243-3:2010 CAT IV 600 V, CAT III 1000V
- Class II, Double Insulation
- Pollution Degree: 2
- EMC: Conforms to BS EN 61326-1
Martindale PD440 Proving Unit Specification
- 440V nominal
- -10°C to +40°C at max 70% RH
- 6 x LR6 / MN1500 1.5V alkaline batteries or equivalent
- 143 x 84 x 50mm
- 400g approx including battery
Standard Delivery 3-5 Day Delivery – UK
£2.95 for all all orders under £40.00 (exld vat). Sent by Royal Mail Tracked, delivered/posted within 3-5 working days from the date of your order, subject to availability.
Standard Free Delivery 3-5 Day Delivery – UK Mainland only - Zone A & B
Included in the price for all orders over £40.00 (exld vat). Sent using FedEx, delivered within 3-5 working days from the date of your order, subject to availability.
Express DPD Delivery 1-2 Day Delivery – UK Mainland only - Zone A & B
£4.50 select at the checkout. Sent using DPD on their Award Winning “Predict” Service with these great key benefits:
- You are given a one hour delivery window. (no more waiting in all day for your parcel)
- You are notified by text or e-mail on your parcels progress.
- Change of plan? You can easily use the text or e-mail to rearrange your delivery.
- Notifications on your parcel up to 15 minutes before delivery.
Orders must be placed before 3pm for next day delivery and a mobile number supplied, subject to availability.
Next Day Delivery – UK Mainland only - Zone A & B
£8.00 select at the checkout. Sent using FedEx, orders must be placed before 3pm for next day delivery, subject to availability.
Saturday Pre 12am - UK Mainland only - Zone A & B
£15.00 select at the checkout. Sent using FedEx, orders must be placed before 3pm for Saturday delivery.
Because of the high cost of carriage we need to apply a surcharge on all deliveries made in the following regions:
- Scotland, Isle of Wight & Isles of Scilly - £6.00
- Scottish Highlands and Northern Ireland - £12.00 Zone C
- Scottish Islands, Isle of Man and Channel Islands - £14.00 Zone D
- Southern Island - £15.00 Zone E
International delivery charges are automatically added to your order at the checkout; you can also use the guide below for a guide on prices. For any questions regarding international deliveries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg. £20.00 per parcel
- Austria, Denmark. £22.00 per parcel
- Liechtenstein, Switzerland £47.00 per parcel (added cost for custom clearance surcharge)
- Czech Republic, Italy, Slovakia, Spain. £28.00 per parcel
- Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Sweden. £50.00 per parcel
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece (incl islands) Latvia, Lithuania, Romania. £60.00 per parcel
Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Norway, Serbia. £85.00 per (added cost for custom clearance surcharge)
If no shipping option is available to your selected country. Please call us on +44 (0) 1603 406 148 to purchase your items.